Main banner

ST MARY’S PRIMARY SCHOOL, BUCKNELL

◄ The St Mary's Primary School website
The old school about 1900
The old school about 1900<

The old school about 1900

The Old School House was built in the 17th century to provide education for those who could pay for it. The school remained until the present one was built in 1865 at which time the Old School House became a shop and bakery before becoming a private dwelling.
The current school some time before the First World War

The current school some time before the First World War

The land upon which the present school was built was given, in 1865, to the Vicar and Churchwardens of the parish of Bucknell for the express purpose of building a school for the education of the poor in the principles of the established church.  The first schoolmaster appointed in 1867 to the new St Mary's National School was Mr Henry Evans, 24 years old.

The school was extensively re-modelled in 1966 when additional teaching space and a kitchen was added enabling meals to be cooked on the premises. Sadly, in the summer of 2013 the kitchen was taken out of service and school meals are now provided through an arrangement with nearby Bedstone College. However, in 2015 the old kitchen area was converted into a classroom for the Pre-school.

Visitors since 1 August 2013:

web counter

© 2013- Bedstone & Bucknell Parish Council - all rights reserved.